Sunday, May 3, 2009

Apparel

I attend a college that is materialistic, vain, and at times pretty interesting. There's a bunch of pros and cons to being in this atmostphere. You learn a lot of what to be and what not to be, how to dress and definitely how not to dress, and even how to strive. Sometimes I doubt my acceptance in this institute that is "Fashion". I often wonder why I was accepted. I'm even judgemental to the point where I wonder how she was accepted dressing in those outdated clothes. This school makes me aware of things like that. I know it's wrong to judge a person based on appearance, but whether or not I learned it from this school or from my household- it's all still wrong. It just stinks that the trait of judging becomes heightened while being in one of the fashion capitals of the world.

The times that I question my belonging most is when I'm placed in the classroom and pitted against some of them. Actually, not so much pitted, mainly for the fact that we're not really competing.... yet. While in class I see the interest that my peers hold in the topics being spoken about. Not only is it apparent in the way their faces are, but in the way they dress and speak. Compared to the high percentage of people who love fashion, I'm not one of them.. anymore. Or so I constantly think. The drive and passion that I once held, seems to be missing. I look around the classroom often jealous of these people. Not because of the clothing that they wear or the items they seem to obtain ( which I often find myself questions their means of actually being able to get it ), but mainly for the fact that they have that passion and that drive that I no longer do.

The lessons that are being taught seem tedious and not relatively interesting at all. I entered this school knowing what to expect: hard work, awesome clothing, and a lifestyle that many only dream of getting. What I didn't expect was to hate and not care for everything that I knew was coming. I knew that I wanted to be in this ndustry. I knew to succeed I would have to work for what I wanted. I knew that clothing interested me. And suddenly, all that I knew.. went away. I no longer know what I want or what to expect.

And as I sit here, trying to write a paper on the company Nike, I wonder whether or not this industry is right for me. Don't get me wrong, I still do enjoy the aspects of fashion more than the next person. But I'm not sure I hold the same strive that my future competitors hold. Because in the end, all that we're working for is just a worthless piece of apparel.



Carlyn


1 comment:

  1. Look ahead instead of around you. Most likely, everyones thinking and feeling the same things, we all just deal with it differently. I think its human instinct to naturally shrink back at the first sign of distaste and when we don't like something it automatically means our passion has burnt out. Its just like people and how we can not like little pieces of them (like I dont like the piece of you that makes up false memories of me falling off of things/crying about falling off of things/making you cry by pushing you off of things)but love them as a whole. Yeah, it can be daunting at times but I'm that annoying type of person that believes that whole conspiracy that nothing that comes easy is worth anything. I mean, I kinda have to considering how not easy things come to me. Its a good excuse.

    ReplyDelete