Sunday, May 10, 2009

Music and lyrics

"I never knew, I never knew that everything was falling through. That after all these years I'd still be calling you, to try and sell you on the thought of coming back to me.."
-Mike Posner & the Brain Trust

I remember a time when I used to listen to music but never related to it or actually listened to the words and meaning behind it all. It wasn't til a couple years ago that I really started appreciating music. I now see that it's just another way to connect with people. I had a conversation with someone once about the reason why we like certain songs without knowing why. They said it was because there was a similar relation between you and that song.

I often say things, and end up eating my words in the end. I truly want what I say as of late to stick. "Never say never" is the kind of bullshit I've heard a few times lately. I can't decipher the difference between those who give me real advice, and those who get their advice from the cliche advice giving handbook (this book's definitely a best-seller by now). Yet with all this advice and words that I've been giving and equally taking, I still don't know the truth. The one thing I'm longing for is the truth. Actually, I lied. I'm not going to act like that's my life. Wondering the truth from a person. That's just giving them more significance than they deserve. But as a human being, and having these natural insticts, I do long for the truth, as well as the long awaited closure.

The relation between the words that came out of Mike Posner and the Brain Trust's mouth and myself is simple. They speak the truth. But the truth that defined me before. Who knows whether or not I'll be eating my words again. As for now, I'm on a diet. No more eating words.. just spitting them out. Hopefully as sick rhymes. Haha.

Real talk, someone once told me that we like songs because there was a similar relation between you and that song. I vote that to be correct. It has to be correct, or else music would not be a dominant force in the world. My only advice to you would be to just choose the song wisely. Unless the song chooses you first.


Phil Collins. He's the man. And just that awesome.

Carlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment